Somer Valley Commentator Hits Century

Saturdays Paulton Rovers game against Evesham United brought up a century of football commentaries for Somer Valley sports reporter, Ian Nockolds. Starting in 2010, Ian has covered a total of 100 Paulton, Welton and Radstock matches, the equivalent of six and a quarter days of broadcasting.

Ian said, “Each of the Clubs bring back special memories. Welton were the first club we commentated on when they won the Somerset Cup against Bridgwater at Huish Park. Paulton Rovers took us on an incredible journey when they won promotion to the Southern Premier Division at Merthyr, but I’ll never forget the audience we got when Yeovil Town, at the time playing in the Championship, played Radstock Town in the Somerset Cup!”

Ian has commentated on Paulton Rovers 47 times, 32 Welton Rovers matches and 21 Radstock Town games, covering all league, cup and friendly competitions. In that time the 100 broadcast games have involved 63 different opponents and for many of them, Somer Valley’s coverage will be the only time supporters will have heard a match day commentary for their team.

Ian said, “I’m very fortunate that all the Clubs we cover are welcoming and supportive. The Paulton Evesham game is a special milestone for me, so I’m very proud my family are here are to see me commentate on my 100th match.

I’d like to thank all the supporters and officials from Paulton, Welton and Radstock, all of whom have embraced what we’ve tried to do with the Somer Valley Sport Show. I know I don’t just commentate on players, I commentate on sons and husbands, fathers and brothers. I’ve tried to be respectful and yet still give you the sort of commentary experience you might hear from a professional broadcaster.”


Somer Valley FM have carried local sport on the community radio station for the last 8 years and earlier this month the Somer Valley Sport Show achieved the first ever Gold Award for a Sports Radio Show at the inaugural Community Radio Awards. 

Comments