New Welton Rovers Manager up for a Challenge


Ian Nockolds: “I am delighted to welcome to the Toolstation Weston League podcast, for the first time it’s Tom Smith, Manager of Welton Rovers. Tom, thank you very much for taking the time to speak to us, Saturday’s match was your first full time in charge of Welton Rovers, it was a six nil win, this management lark’s pretty easy isn’t it?”

Tom Smith: “Baby steps, baby steps at the moment Ian, there’s no better way of kicking off a managerial rein than that, but to be honest with you mate, the boys earned it. They played really well, I think it’s been coming a result like that, we’ve put in good performances against top opposition, we haven’t really had the rub of the green. So it paid off on Saturday, mate.

IN: “I mean to be fair to Telephones, they are off the back of two wins, their confidence is high, they have got themselves off the bottom of the table, are you surprised at just how well your side played against them on Saturday?”

TS: “Yes, I thought it was going to be a difficult game, like you said, looking at their previous results. We knew they had some decent players, you know from when we have played them before. The boys played really well, obviously we scored after seventeen seconds, which always helps settle the nerves. We knew we had the ability in the squad, just a case of putting it together, giving the players the belief and once they have that, I mean, if we can keep that going it will be absolutely brilliant. “

IN: “Now one of the other things I picked up on social media was the fact that you brought in quite a few players to the match day squad on Saturday, so of course that can always go one of two ways, particularly with people settling down in to the team, but that seemed to go in your favour as well.”

TS: “With the weather being like it’s been recently, the only good point about it is we’ve had time to introduce the players in to training, in to social activities at the club, so they are all settled ready for the match, no one was getting introduced to each other on the day. We had already had two or three weeks to speak to the players about what we wanted from them and you know how they were going to affect the team in a positive way. So it wasn’t as risky as it may have sounded and the players we have brought in are brilliant players, a lot with really good Weston League experience and yeah it gelled really well. We couldn’t have asked for a better start really, Ian.”

IN: “One other thing I picked up on in going in to that game is that there was going to be a minute’s silence before the game for a former Chairman of Welton Rovers, Roy Kemp. Now, I understand that Roy had a long association with the club.”

TS: “He did. I’ve been in and around Welton for over ten years now and he was always a familiar face, always there watching. I haven’t been playing long enough for me to know him, you know, in his former roles as a reserve manager as well, I think, obviously as a grounds man, and he was always there supporting, a familiar face. A lovely, lovely gentleman and he’ll be sadly missed at the club.

IN: “Now the last time I saw you play was in the four nil demolition of Cheddar and since then you have had games against Ashton and Backwell, Calne and Longwell Green, some of the real power houses of the first division, it’s not been the easiest of runs for you.”

TS: “No definitely not, when I got appointed caretaker and we had a little look at the fixtures and as you just said we had three of the big boys early doors, and I thought, well you know, this will test us, this will allow me to see whose up for it, whose up for the battle and whose not. Ah, we done really well in those games, away at Ashton, you know they were probably the better team if I am being a hundred percent honest, but we were in the game all the way through and we had some really good chances, you know, to get a point from that, and then we had to travel to Calne on a Monday night, which is always a difficult one, trying to rally the troops for a Monday night for a long trip away. The keeper unfortunately got injured five minutes in, um, I had to go in goal myself, which isn’t ideal, um but we battled all the way through and at Longwell Green we were unlucky to not get a point. So it was bit of a baptism of fire really, but we proved we had the quality and ability to push on and get results against teams, which we showed, obviously on Saturday against Telephones.”

IN: “Now next up is another promotion chasing side in the form of Radstock Town, and Radstock have had a couple of disappointing results of late, so they really need a win to get their promotion push back on track, but is this game made harder because you are facing one of the top sides or actually because it is the Coalfield Classico, it is the Derby for you?”

TS: “It’s always a hard game, Ian, always a hard game against Radstock, because both teams are so up for it. You know, it’s a massive one for the club, massive one for the players, but we’ve got to try and downscale that enough to keep ourselves focused on getting the three points, which is the most important thing. But, yeah, keep that spice in it as well, so the boys are really up for it, raring to go, which I am sure they will be and to be honest with you it is one we hope is on and one that we want to get out there and we want to get the job done. “

IN: “Well I am sure both sides hope it’s on because the fixture congestion is really starting to pile up now. You’ve got thirteen games left to play this season and less than two months to complete them. How do you feel about that?”

TS: “I mean it’s crazy, it’s crazy. I mean it is not the first time we have been in this situation, obviously over the last few years we have found ourselves in similar situations, as most clubs have, but you know it is something we have got to deal with. As you mentioned earlier we have brought in a number of new signings and that is with this in mind as well that this is going to be the case at the end of the season. We feel like we have got a good strong, deep squad and you know we will relish the challenge, that’s the only way you can look at it, otherwise it starts to get a little bit hard work if you like. But no, we are ready for it, like I said we’ve got good depth, and I think we will be absolutely fine with it.”

IN: “You alluded to it earlier in the interview, you are not just a manager, you are a player manager, will you be carrying on in that capacity for the rest of the season?”

TS: “I will be yes. I’m very fortunate I’ve got a fantastic assistant, Will Justin, who is very, very, experienced Weston League keeper. He has decided to step down, hang up his gloves up, just to focus on the managerial side so that I can continue to play when needed and he can control the dug out. So I’ll be continuing to do that for the foreseeable future unless anything changes, but I’d like to be in a situation where I could bring in enough experience and enough quality where I’s struggle to get back in to the team and we know that if that happens then we are not too far away.”

IN: “Now am I right in thinking that you once came out of playing out field and went in goal in a rather important promotion deciding match at Cheddar a few years ago?”

TS: “Yeah, that is correct, it is one that will stay with me for a very long time Ian. Yeah, I think we needed a draw for promotion away at Cheddar and unfortunately Andy King who was in goal for us had a really nasty facial injury twenty minutes in I think. Just in case needed the point I don’t think the manager put on a sub keeper in case he needed to bring in a striker to score a goal, so I had to put the gloves on. Fortunately it went the right way. The outfield players looked after me a little bit and we got the goals we needed and it was a hell of a day in the end Ian. It was brilliant.”

IN: “Well you have experienced those highs of course and I am sure the Green Army will want you to bring them back to West Clews. Well just before we go, this is going to the first time that many of the listeners will have heard from you, of course, Welton fans will know you, but can you tell us a bit about your footballing journey to the Welton dug out?”

TS: “As soon as became an adult I played all my youth at Westfield Football Club just up the road. I played a couple of years in our first team and then when Nick Beaverstock and Andy Catley were in charge they wanted me to come down to Welton and ever since then I haven’t really looked back. Just sort of played through, like you just said, I’ve had some highs, had some lows, got great experiences at the club, now I’ve know everyone at the club and I’ve always wanted to get in to managing, so it’s just the fact I know the club so well and I am comfortable with everyone at the club, it just makes my life just a little bit easier. Um, I’ve been able to sort of see what direction the football team needs to go and the club and I work very closely with the fantastic Board we’ve got, with Gareth and Malcolm and everyone else on it. So yes it just seemed like the perfect time and the perfect step for me to, you know, step in and try and push the club in the direction where we think it should be really.”

IN: “Tom, I know that, obviously, you know Welton Rovers very well, I am sure that if we cut you you’d bleed green and white. Um, you brought a really good feel good factor back to the club, which I am sure will be present for the rest of the season. Thank you very much for taking the time to speak to us and good luck for the rest of the season.”

TS: “Pleasure Ian, any time. Thank you very much.”

Comments